Monday, April 12, 2010

Coming to a Crossroads

Like many marriages out there, I feel like we're currently sitting at a crossroads. I know I'm not at a point of wanting to walk out, and Hubs says he isn't, but I know that our marriage isn't as loving, friendly, or respectful as it should be. I don't want to raise our children feeling the tension I felt growing up.

My sister-in-law recommended "The Love Dare" and "Fireproof" to me. At first, I rolled my eyes a bit, but I've decided now is the time to give it a chance. I watched the movie on my own and I'm hoping to get Hubs to watch it with me. Unfortunately, I saw far too many things in the movie that mirrored our marriage. Between that and "the God factor" I'm not sure how Hubs will react to it.

The only thing I'm certain of is that I can not wait to start. If I do, I worry that I will reach a breaking point where I don't even want to read the book or do the dares. I really do want this to work. I want to enjoy my time with Hubs, I want him to enjoy his time with me.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done the dare, especially if your spouse wasn't "on board" with it. How did you get through? Did it help your marriage? How do you feel about your spouse now?

5 comments:

Angie said...

I watched the movie fireproof last year on my own. My hubby wouldn't even watch this type, so I don't even try.
So...I have been with my hubby for 14 yrs...so we have had ups and downs...MANY! So when I saw this movie...we were at a just ok stage. So I started to incorporate some of the "dares" and boy does it work! I saw huge improvements right away! And he still has no clue at all, that I was getting these ideas from a movie!
Marriage is not easy...you do have to work at it.
I wouldn't ask your hubs to watch it...just go ahead and start changing things!
Good luck!

Betsy said...

I haven't heard of these movies, but I believe I'll be checking them out soon myself. Thanks for sharing!

Little Bishops said...

My husband and I watched this movie together and were both moved by it. We bought promptly bought the books and we have since misplaced them, having done nothing more than reading through the first day. This last week the book has been on my mind and I am trying to determine if God is urging me to find the book, among all the others things he's been saying to me lately!

Heather said...

If you're interested in watching the movie, there is (or at least was) someone who had the whole thing divided into about 12-15 sections on YouTube.

I've found that if something is on your mind all the time, chances are good you're supposed to be listening to it!

Angie, I'm glad to hear that you've had success doing it on your own!

trooppetrie said...

I did this book last spring and WOW. I did not tell my husband. you know I think I just needed reminders of how to treat my spouse. I will not say I was perfect at it. I want to re do it when my husband comes home from Iraq this time.
I noticed your laundry detergent experiment. Have you tried the liquid. The cost is so much better and we love it.